Known for being fast-paced, Johannesburg’s bustling city can be intimidating for many folks. Well, now you have the pleasure of exploring the ‘City of Gold’ on an interactive bike tour. This engaging means of seeing historic and cultural attractions will leave you with a wealth of knowledge, and the bonus is a pat on the back for getting your fitness levels up!
Soweto Bicycle Tours
Run by Lebo’s Soweto Backpackers, tourists are taken on extensive bike tours through the dynamic township of Soweto. You will have the pleasure of cycling through the communities of Meadowlands and Orlando West – embracing the vibrant energy of the locals. Discover interesting historical sites around Soweto.The tour includes a stop at the Hector Pieterson Memorial – the historical landmark of the 1976 Student Uprising. Once you’ve conquered the cycle across all the cultural and historical sights, you’ll get to cycle back to Lebo’s Soweto Backpackers and will have the chance to enjoy home brewed beer, and take in a wealth of information about the African customs and traditions.
- The full day bike tour experience includes seeing Soweto’s hidden spots.
- Learn about the lives of migrant workers.
- Feel welcomed by the locals of Soweto as you ride through its streets.
- Indulge in local treats at the street market.
- Listen to the vivid stories of the Sowetan locals.
- A visit to a former migrant worker’s hostel.
- See the homes of Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu in Vilakazi Street.
- Enjoy a traditional lunch – African stew, cooked the traditional way, and pap.
|2 hour tour (includes lunch)||R470 Per Person (Tour only guest)||R390 Per Person (Backpackers guest)|
|4 hour tour (includes lunch)||R580 Per Person (Tour only guest)||R500 Per Person (Tour only guest)|
|8 hour tour (includes lunch)||R750 Per Person (Tour only guest)||R670 Per Person (Backpackers guest)|
Telephone: +27 11 936 3444
Bask in the ‘real’ Alexandra Township – one of South Africa’s oldest townships. There is no better way to engage with the locals than on a bicycle. Tourists get to see the lifestyle of the people beyond the usual tourist sites. You will be shown around the township by an informative local guide. A bike tour through Alexandra aims to change the narrative about the township. Alexandra Tours exposes you to the traditions within the humble community.
In groups of 8, the bike tour begins at the Gautrain Station in Marlboro, sending you on a pedal mission to an enhanced perspective of Alexandra. Delight in the harmonious spirit of the locals and brush up on your history of Alexandra during the apartheid era.
- Participants get to taste umqombothi – a traditional African beer.
- Storytelling is a thought provoking means of gaining insight to different communities, locals rouse you with their oral histories detailing their resilience – it is a powerful and moving experience.
- A visit to the local shebeen, the first primary school in Alexandra and Nelson Mandela’s house.
- Lunch is included in all the tours (taste the
|2 hour tour||R450 Per Person|
|4 hour tour||R550 Per Person|
Telephone: +27 71 279 3654 OR +27 61 365 7695
Maboneng City Cyclists
The trendy Maboneng Precinct can be traversed on a bike every Thursday. Maboneng means “Place of Light” in Sotho and it sure does emit positive light, as it sees diverse people frequenting the trendy area. It is more than your average cycle through town. Join the social movement along with Johannesburg’s cool crowd and take in all the creative sights. Exciting opportunities to see the city on a bike include group rides, social rides, and many fun, engaging cycling activities. Explore Maboneng and beyond, creating a wonderful sense of adventure. Maboneng City Cyclists hosts a variety of events, which get locals and tourists on bikes and eager to explore their surroundings. Meet up at Love Revo SA (corner of Betty and Fox Street) and depart at 7pm.
- Take on the challenge of conquering multiple routes and discover the city’s gems.
- The bike ride includes a break, where you can enjoy great food and drinks with your fellow riders.
- The benefit of joining the Maboneng City Cyclists social movement is the chance to conquer your fear of the city, time slows down on a bicycle and it affords you the moment to delight in Johannesburg’s urban beauty!
- It is a great way to meet new people while getting your endorphins pumping.
Bike rentals are available from Get Fixied Bikes for R120 with lights and helmet.
Facebook: Maboneng City Cyclists
East City Cycle Tour
Explore the streets of Maboneng, Doornfontein and Troyeville – see the ‘City of Gold’ like you’ve never seen it before. With the moderately paced cycle tour, you get to take in the fresh air of the urban life. Prepare for a day of public arts, urban living, breath-taking architecture and captivating history. The East City Cycle Tour takes place on Saturdays and Sundays, or you can arrange a private or group tour for any day of the week. Take in the progressive mural installations that can be seen along the epic bike tour. Discover Johannesburg and its hidden gems as you cycle through the city.
- Create new friendships with local and foreign people participating in the cycling adventure.
- Unveil your inner child and go on a hidden treasure hunt through the city streets.
- Tour the city’s street art.
|2 hour tour||R200|
Telephone: +27 (0)11 614 0163
Facebook: Mainstreetwalks Johannesburg
This unique take on cycling the city gets your blood pumping as it takes place at night! Hosted by the guys at Hunter Cycling, Jozi Hustle sees avid bikers and amateurs racing or simply riding through the street on a fixed route. A unique adrenalin rush can be expected as you make your way through the streets on bike. Attractions such as The Mandela Bridge becomes sensational sights to behold as you peddle the night away. Keep a look out for Hunter Cycling’s group rides in different parts of the city!
- One-of-a-kind views of the city at night
- It is 100% FREE!
- Feeling safe navigating through the city with a mass group of like-minded individuals.
- Grab a beer and socialise with fellow riders after you’ve conquered the route.
- Meeting cool people along the way.
Telephone: +27 (0) 76 541 2443
Facebook Page: Hunter Cycling
The post 5 Interactive Bike Tours In and Around Johannesburg appeared first on Travelstart Blog.